Thursday, July 8, 2010

vaccines

Vaccines...........I want to know how you decided to have vaccines for your children or not?

I read this book by Jenny McCarthy about her finding out her son has autism..........Now before you judge me for reading this.....I do want to say that never once does she say i hate all vaccines and Doctors......I was very impressed at the patience she had with her child and all the doctors that wouldn't listen to her as a mother!!!

Some background on me.....I'm very sensitive to many things.....I'm allergic to quite a few things and some that i can't pin point what it is but the doctor doesn't think i am......so my brain is going to, if my mom is also sensitive to things and allergic to some stuff why wouldn't my child?!?!?!

The whole point of the book was that she found out later that her son did not have a good immune system (when they did test his immune system they said that it was like an AIDS patient that was not going to live long) so when you take a sick immune system and then put vaccines in his body....his body didn't know what to do with it......(if you want specifics read the book...the only part i didn't like was her swearing)

She wrote in her book about a book called "what doctors are not telling you about vaccines" I haven't read i......t but it had a delayed schedule for vaccines......Jenny wrote that she would suggest waiting until your children are at least 18 months to see if their little immune system can handle the vaccines!

I still don't know what I'm going to do yet....but it just seems odd to me that in the first visit with your new born they get 3-4 shots and a drink and that is more then one vaccine in each shot.......I don't know if my body can handle that as an adult! I don't know what to do cuz i want my kids to be able to go to school and when older if they want to go out of the country!

Why did you choose what you chose? Did you do research on any of the vaccines? Did you delay any of the vaccines? Is there a time limit on when they have to get the shots? can they be to old? try not to over whelm me with to many medical terms please :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh the vaccine issue. We did LOTS of reading on this. We finally chose not to- at least at this point. The biggest resource we used was "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Robert Sears. It's a wonderful resource- it goes through all of them, why they're used, what the pros and cons are, and lets you decide what's right for your child. We loved it because he never says "yes, you should do this one" or "this one you shouldn't have"- he just gives you the facts about them, plain and simple, and gives you a great delayed vaccine schedule to follow. One of the biggest reasons we chose not to vaccinate is the ingredients used to make them. It's a personal choice that parents have to make through prayer and research, but I did not want those ingredients in my baby. At least, not if the chance of her getting the disease was extremely low and if she did get it it wouldn't be fatal. So, good luck! Just do lots and lots of reading on both sides of the issue, and pray about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I should also mention that a big factor in us deciding not to was that we knew Regan would not be in daycare (I only take care of one other child here in our home), so we knew she wouldn't be exposed to a lot of the stuff they would have vaccinated her for- at least until she's older and in settings with lots of other kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 2nd The Vaccine Book by Dr Sears. We did his Alternate Vaccine Schedule with Evan. (we did normal recommended schedule with Addison). It is a personal decision in the end and one you have to make WITH your pediatrician. I had to switch peds because Addy's was mean to me about it. My current ped was open-minded, saw I did a crapton of research and agreed to the Alternate vax schedule.
    My opinion on it all: I think children need to be vaccinated but I don't like the amount of vaccine drs are giving all at once. I also no longer think MMR causes Autism. BUT I do not think that enough research has been done regarding the effects of so much aluminum and other chemicals going into an infant's body at once. Mercury got researched to death and in the end was safe but not much research has been done on other chemicals.
    Send me a Facebook IM with your email address and I'll send you Evan's vaccination schedule if you want to see it. Or if you have any other ?'s!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I applaud the efforts you're making to make this decision. Have you thought about meeting with a pediatrician or two and see what they have to say before your baby is born?

    ReplyDelete